There’s a lot of buzz around social media the past couple of years with many businesses using it to try and push sales and services, we also have many companies set up to help promote business on social media. It doesn’t really matter what type of business you have the important thing is that for any type of marketing campaign you need to make sure that you identify your target market first.
One of the advantages of online marketing is its very easy to target demographics. But, the key for your business is to first identify the demographics that are interested in your business so that you can plan your social media campaign.
It’s All About Research
One of the important things you need to do before starting any social media campaign is to make sure you spend time researching. This may take a little time to start with, but will really help you to grow your business. Let’s have a quick look at types of things that you need to do
How do you identify your market?
First of all we need to establish exactly who you’re going to marketing to.
- Are they female or male?
- Is there a particular age category you’re targeting?
- Is your market location specific, nationwide or international?
- Do you think that pricing will be an issue?
- Do they prefer to stay home or go out at weekends?
- Do they have children?
Once you have identified your market it will help you to advertise wisely and also plan your campaign so that you know who you are going to be directly targeting. There are of course many companies set up in Ireland that can help you with these types of questions and planning. If you are going to go alone on this project which many of you will due to budget restrictions there are a couple of things that you will need to really understand.
- Know your product and service inside out
- Make sure you don’t get too caught up in the vast array of demographic questions, you should know who your customers at this stage if you’ve spend time researching.
Your main focus should be on the most significant factors that can help you to design a social media campaign that’s going to work for you. Let’s look at a real world example, say we were working on an accounting software for small business with a focus on startup business and sole traders that are most likely just starting out in business. Many of these businesses are going to be solo entrepreneurs who are using social media to get the word out about what they do, this is your opportunity to engage with them.
So How We Do This
- First decide which social media outlet you are going to use
- On twitter there are many business communities already set up with users who communicate with each other on all aspects of business….
- Do not jump straight in letting them know how wonderful your business is.
- Engage by offering tips, suggestions and help..
- Offer free advice on VAT returns, business accounting etc.
- Offer free video tutorials showing the benefits of your product.
- What you are trying to do is to become the expert that people will recommend and mention
Many of these business groups on twitter are helping and supporting each other they do not want to read constant self-promotion. Do not use it to tell people how wonderful your businesses, services you offer because you’ll quickly find you target market will listen to you.
One of the main reasons behind giving away advice free is because you will be seen to be the expert on people will come to you when needed. I know we have looked at this example from a business accounting software angle. But, this could be any business or any service.
A social media campaign can make a significant difference to your business you need to ensure that you spend time planning, creating and then executing.