Steve Jobs famously remarked, “For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been “NO” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.” As a remarkable leader and revolutionary Steve Jobs had the foresight to understand the intrinsic need to be deliberate in his actions. Steve Jobs was passionate about acting according to his purpose.
But of course, you don’t need to be a global market visionary to act with purpose.
Growing a business has much uncertainty and takes great time and energy. It’s easy to say that you should use your time smartly on the key actions that will really build your business. The ‘best’ focus can be difficult to determine and can quickly change. Many hard lessons are learned with a cost and time wasted. Many projects and companies that might have been more successful have ceased for many reasons and in some cases even an insanely naive belief in the ‘big idea’ continues.
Why do so many high potential early stage companies show great promise and may even get to over €1M annual sales revenues but then seem to get stuck. There are many reasons cited for this, for example caught in the early adopter market, low market need, business scalability challenges, funds shortage, management ability and many more.
Are you the CEO or a growing company? Then, pause and do consider for a moment that if you were deliberate about your goals, your plans in your business; what would your business be like? What would your job be like? It is certainly not on the presumption that you can control everything but it is clear that there is nothing without action. The more purposeful and deliberate those actions according to your plans then the more likelihood of success.
Then what is a Deliberate CEO?
- Acts with strong intention, purpose, forceful determination, integrity, commitment, conviction and courage
- Faces realities; manage risks, devise contingency plans and knows clearly that “You are only in control in so far as you have options”
- Acts with Realistic optimism, with confidence without self-delusion or irrationality, pursing audacious goals, while at the same time remaining aware of the magnitude of the challenges confronting them
- Acts with a sense that the word hope doesn’t feature as not to be depending on luck but in clarity and purposeful execution as they know what they want and act with purpose to achieve it
- Accepts responsibility and accountability while exercising accountability within their team
- Possesses a vision with clarity of purpose and exudes energy as they move towards the fulfillment of their vision which often reads as charisma to others
If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well, not just looking the part of going through the motions. It’s about you acting according to your purpose.
It is difficult to achieve and continually sustain the Deliberate CEO attitude on your own without having a strong support group. As a CEO, your challenges are not unique and finding ‘your’ way is easier attained with the help of a support group of people to whom you can speak plainly and get blunt, real and constructive responses.
In March 2013 Tenego Partnering launched the Deliberate CEO Group, a facilitated Mastermind Group of Early Stage Software Company CEOs. Tenego are bringing together a group, maximum 8, of like-minded people to create a support group focusing on helping each person develop and grow their businesses.
Tenego Partnering is a business development services company in building and managing international sales channels for software companies. Tenego provide Sales & Partnering strategy and Execution Support and Outsourced/Interim management services. See www.TenegoPartnering.com for more information.