Paula Donoghue, Insight & Brand Manager, Bord Bia – Irish Food Board
The last Brand Forum event before the summer took place on 15th May in The Science Gallery with over 100 people in attendance. The theme was around Brand Innovation, both from a product and communications perspective. The three speakers that presented were:
- David Hamilton, Innovation Director with Kerry and Doug James, Managing Director with Honey
- Dan Germain, Creative Director, Innocent
Some of the points that were raised included:
- Lead and nurture partnerships with retailers. Stay close to them and create relationships
– Get ideas into their business, before undertaking the work. This will create opportunities for retailers
– Offer a staff member to work with them, you learn about their business and they get a free resource
– Speed is critical, both in getting the product to market and decision making
- Think outside the box – high quality food is a given. How can you differentiate the message, story and involvement with the customer.
- Innovation should involve all staff in the company, everyone has ideas and no one should be precious about “their” idea. Share and build it with colleagues
- Be interesting to get standout. Dan quoted the example of Longaberger, a company that make baskets. Their office is in the shape of a basket, which means that people want to visit them!
- Have your own voice when doing any communications, whether that is packaging or website.
- Like any entrepreneur, be positive and don’t take no for an answer!
- Listen to consumers via social media – it’s free
If you missed last week’s brand Forum, you can view the webcast here