Digital marketing is much more than social media or social media marketing, it is a very important element for large and small business alike. Social media is a catch all term of online platforms that allow the public to communicate with each other. In recent years, brands have entered the social media space and are communicating to customers and fostering communities of customers online such as in the Vanish stain hub. There are a raft of modern social media channels available. The key ones are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn (more professional) Youtube, Vine, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram etc.
According to Smart Insights (Dave Chaffey & Dan Bosomworth), social media marketing is ‘Monitoring and facilitating customer-customer interaction, participation and sharing through digital media to encourage positive engagement with a company and its brands leading to commercial value. Interactions may occur on a company site, social networks and other third-party sites’.
What are some big mistakes made by brands entering the social media marketing world:
- Using a trial & error approach without proper planning or alignment to business strategy.
- Failure to create or monitor solid metrics/targets.
- Using inexperienced staff to manage the process.
- Not researching best practice and etiquette.
- Inconsistent posting and communication.
- Using the same message and approach across all channels.
- Not implementing social media into the overall marketing communication mix.
- Using the hard sell approach in their content management plans.
In their guide ‘Seven Steps to Success’ Chaffey & Bosomworth explain how to be successful at social media marketing:
- Benchmark current performance and set business goals for your social media marketing.
- Create strategy to manage social media.
- Practice social listening and online reputation management.
- Develop the content marketing and engagement strategy for your brand.
- Define social media communications strategy.
- Define approaches for the core social media platforms.
- Practice social media optimisation (SMO).
By Robert Farrell.
For more information contact me via Linkedin ie.linkedin.com/in/robertfarrell1/
For Dave Chaffey’s full length article click here.