The PR metrics that you should consider sharing with your team are based on the objectives of your business. PR is a tool for communication designed to help you meet your business objectives. Within PR, spending a significant amount of time on tracking metrics is necessary in order to communicate the value of this function.
- Revenue is among the top metrics that require close monitoring along with others that can help you reach your full potential. When you measure PR efforts in an accurate and efficient manner, you are in a better position to link them directly to how your customers behave.
- Technological advancements have made it easier for PR professionals to capture PR metrics that add value.
- When considering which PR metrics to share, it is important to understand why PR is taking place. PR is an investment typically made to address the need to make your audience do something or react in a certain way.
- Desired actions from customers range from making purchases to filling out forms. You may also want them to distribute your content or go to your site for information. Such activities will help you determine which PR metrics will be most valuable for you and your team. The metrics should have poor definition in order for you to be able to gauge the success of your business.
- Revenue is a value and data driven metric that needs to be visible. It is important for you to determine how you can stimulate growth that will lead to an increase in revenue. For businesses that engage in ecommerce, various campaigns can be useful to drive sales.
- If you operate an online business, aspects such as content, social media and emails are essential. These efforts need measuring to find out the number of leads and conversions generated.
- Online resources are available to help you know where your traffic is coming from as well as the likelihood of conversions. Invest in the resources that you need to monitor your public relations efforts and note how much revenue the business earns.
Sales Conversions and Leads
Some PR strategies focus on converting site visits into sales opportunities. PR campaigns have the potential to create an increase in sales conversions and leads. PR aim at showcasing brands positively and conveying the company’s area of expertise. Measuring leads is a good metric for PR efforts.
Mentions indicate how many times your brand has had a referral it within a specified period. While some PR professionals may be skeptical about the value of mentions, the reality is that the number of mentions helps you know how effective your communication has been among influencers.
The impact of your activities on how often your brand gets a mention or trends is a useful way to track your PR results. It helps you understand how successful your messages are in comparison to your competitors.
Audience is an important metric that shows you how many people link to your brand. People such as visitors to your site, followers on social media platforms and subscribers to your blog let you know if you are on the right track. Monitoring the growth of your audience enables you to know if you are using the right strategies.
Return on investment or ROI is a valuable metric when determining PR success. It can often be challenging to calculate but it is necessary for establishing how PR benefits translate into business profits. Analytics software is usually the best way to keep track of ROI related metrics and measure PR effectiveness. Some PR platforms have built in reporting or analytics sections where data for such ROI calculations can be extracted. Other standalone analytics platforms such as PanXpan have specific modules that allow for ROI and PR effectiveness to be tracked. ROI can be tracked through measures such as CPM (cost per thousand reached), cost per conversion or the cost to generate a dollar in revenue.
Impressions on social media are readily quantifiable when measuring how successful a PR campaign is. Links to websites and social media pages make it possible for users to interact regularly. This type of interaction provides PR professionals with the chance to measure their efforts in a timely and precise manner.
Impressions give insight into the number of times users view a particular message. They are important because they can create awareness.
Remember to Share
After defining your metrics and investing in the tools you need to measure them, it is important to share them with your team. Make sure that the set metrics are manageable and will add value to your organization. Metrics are a useful component of the learning process within an organization.
Communicate with other members of the team about the progress made. Progress should undergo regular review while sharing different experiences and challenges along the way.