Impact = Contrast X (Reach + Exposure + Articulation + Trust + Echo)
I was really looking forward to The Impact Equation. Written by the authors of “trust agents”. A book that was ahead of its time.
It started well. The equations is top notch (and common sense). And that is the point. The whole book is common sense.
- Delight your customers (duh!)
- Emotion supersedes ratio (duh!)
- Gaming is creeping into business culture (duh!)
- Friction is suicide (duh!)
- Stories need to resonate (duh!)
- Ideas attempt to replicate and are called a meme (really?)
- Human are pattern recognition machines
- Write as if you are talking to a 6 year old (duh!)
- Copywriting is an essential skill (yep!)
- Reach is almost never built quickly (really?)
- The only metric: “who takes action when I ask?” (!!)
- A network is different than a community (duh!)
I made the mistake of reading this book as I was reading Brian Solis “What is the future of business”. Now that is a book that will make you think.
Of course I am being very unfair. If you want all that common sense in a bundle and you want to start making an impact online, this book could be for you. You don’t need to read “Engage”, “Emotionomics”, “Launch”, “Reality is broken”, “Resonate”, “Tipping point” and a few more.
If you want to know how behave online, how to stand out (=contrast), how to create reach, exposure, articulation and echo (quality content, engagement and being helpful), this book is for you. Checked other reviews. Most of them are very positive.
Imagine being in a village. It takes time to build trust. Do you ask people you have never met for a favour? How helpful are you?
All “normal” rules apply. Common sense. And the real lesson; the only metric: “who takes action when I ask?” In your home village or online.