There is a growing number of companies that now use psychometric tests during their interview process, together with analyzing cover letters, transcripts resumes and face-to-face interviews. Corporations have been using these tests for a long time in order to identify personality and aptitude traits for potential candidates and figure out if they will be a great fit for the company.
Regular Tests Versus Psychometric Tests
In regular tests, whenever you are asked a question, the answer will be subjective. This is not perfect as the results cannot be analyzed properly. Subjective answers cannot actually bring in the necessary information to be sure that a person is right for the company. The psychometric tests will not be based on subjective answers. They will also measure behavior since this is what is very important for a company.
A professional psychometric assessment provider like Chandler Macleod Group will compare the measured behaviors of possible employees in order to offer a very good indication of strengths, abilities, behaviors and weaknesses. That will give you access to information that is very valuable for an employer. It will show if the person is an extroverted, can deal with deadlines, will be motivated by competition, what type of performance can appear while on the job and other indicators of extreme importance like the ones mentioned.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using Psychometric Testing
The main advantages that can be mentioned are:
- Tests stand out as cost beneficial because of the fact that the firm can save a lot of money on the long run.
- All candidates will get the exact same questions so opportunities are practically always equal.
- The company will not end up hiring a candidate while only taking the interview skills in account.
- Those that participate in the interview and do not have strong interview skills will be able to prove that they can be really valuable for the company.
The main disadvantages that can be mentioned are:
- When assessing the personality of the candidate, errors can appear and success is not guaranteed.
- There are candidates that will not answer truthfully.
- Some tests are just presented as being psychometric when the truth is that it is not actually case. You need to be careful and be sure that the tests are actually psychometric.
Psychometric tests can be really useful and companies do tend to use them because of the fact that they manage to be faced with a better interviewing process. The people that are hired are actually those that will perfectly fit the company. This is what a manager is looking for when hiring someone to help in the hiring process.
The only real problem is that there are many test providers that claim to offer psychometric evaluation when the truth is not actually like that. It is really important that you make sure that you work with professionals. Only when you are faced with a company that actually offers modern psychometric evaluation you can be sure that the results will be the ones you initially imagined.